The Department of French has two distinct but complementary missions: to provide instruction in the French language at all levels of competence, and to lead students to a broad appreciation and deep understanding of the literatures and cultures of France and other French-speaking countries.
Students in the French Major will:
· Attain advanced proficiency in both written and oral French (multiple L5)
· Acquire a deep understanding of the literatures and cultures of francophone countries
· Gain analytical and critical reading skills
· Develop rhetorical and argumentative abilities
· Conduct independent research using French-language sources
· Produce a work of original research and interpretation